What can an MP do?

Members of Parliament are elected to the House of Commons to represent the interests and concerns of all the people who live in their constituency, whether they voted for them at the General Election or not. They are only able to deal with issues raised by people who live in their constituency, called constituents.

To check if you are one of my constituents, please enter your postcode on the Parliament website .

MPs can help you with matters for which central government or Parliament is responsible, for example:

  • Immigration issues dealt with by the Home Office
  • Tax problems involving HM Revenue and Customs.
  • Benefits difficulties dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions

If you have a specific issue you would like to take up with a government department or minister, I can also write to the relevant person on your behalf.

I have no jurisdiction over private matters such as employment disputes or customer complaints, and I am not allowed to interfere with or try to influence legal cases.

I will always try to deal as best I can with every case I am contacted about, however strictly speaking I do not have jurisdiction over areas dealt with by the local council; though I can put you in touch with your local councillor who may be a more appropriate point of contact.

More information on what MPs do for their constituents

Find your local councillor

Contact Bedford Borough Council

Contact Central Bedfordshire Council