Alistair was born in 1955, is married to Eve, has two adult children and is a Granddad. They live in Wootton, Bedfordshire. Educated at Bury GS, Lancashire and Oxford University. Qualifying as a solicitor in 1980, he worked in practice in London until 1983.
Alistair is on the Board of Patrons of Habitat for Humanity GB, a charity tackling poverty housing on a global scale and an Ambassador to Prospects, an organisation working together with people with learning disabilities to ensure they can lead fulfilled lives.
Alistair is proud to be connected to several local organisations serving Bedfordshire including President of Carers in Bedfordshire, Vice President of Bedfordshire Beekeepers Assc, President of Biggleswade Sea Cadets, and President of Biggleswade Scouts.
He plays football, runs regularly, and has completed ten London Marathons
- 1982-83 Councillor, London Borough of Haringey
- Elected MP for Bury North 1983, 1987, and 1992.
- 1985-90 PPS to Rt Hon Kenneth Baker
- 1992-95 PUSS at the Department of Social Security
- 1994-97 Sponsor Minister for Manchester and Salford
- 1995-97 Minister of State, Minister for Disabled People
He lost his marginal seat in 1997, and became a head-hunter for Whitehead Mann GKR’s sport and not for profit sector in London, moving the family to Bedford.
Elected MP for NE Bedfordshire 2001, 2005, 2010, 2015 and 2017. Did not seek re-election in 2019.
- 2002-05 PPS to the Leader of the Opposition
- 2005-08 Shadow Minister for Communities and Regeneration
- 2008-10 Assistant Chief Whip and Deputy Party Chairman
- 2010-13 Parliamentary Under Secretary of State at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- 2015-16 Minister of State, Department of Health, Minister for Care & Support
- 2017-19 Minister of State for the Middle East at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office and Department for International Development
Alistair’s constituency political interests have been centered on his busy constituency workload, taking a keen interest in the development of public services in a growing county, countryside issues affecting villages and small towns, regional planning and transport. Alistair has been active in issues regarding Carers. Social division, urban regeneration and overseas development are also high on his agenda.
Office costs, accommodation and travel
Many constituents have followed the changes to our costs system with interest. IPSA runs the system and publishes our expenses online, as I had done previously. The main IPSA website is www.parliamentarystandards.org.uk and it has searchable for data on MPs.
If you have any queries or questions on expenses do contact the office.